iAmmar: Ammar’s Temporary Autonomous Zone¶
Philosophy, from the earliest times, has made greater claims, and achieved fewer results, than any other branch of learning.
—“Our Knowledge of the External World”, by Bertrand Russell
Bertrand Russell is my favorite analytic philosopher, which, coupled to the statements that (a) I love physics and applied mathematics, (b) I am an avid student of the history of religion and religious philosophy, is perhaps all that is needed to deduce everything else about me.
I am an expert in computational physics, specially as applied to plasma physics, fluid dynamics, plasma and fluid turbulence and electromagnetism. I have extensive experience developing large-scale (100K+ lines of code) parallel computational software. My recent interests are in applying state-of-art finite-element and discontinuous Galerkin schemes to solution of the gyrokinetic equations. These equations evolve in 5-dimensional phase space in complex geometries, which makes developing efficient schemes very challenging. My long term goal is to develop mathematically well founded numerical methods to solve a broad variety of physics problems.
I maintain a simulation journal at Simulation Journal. In this one can find my notes and results from testing algorithms and models on different problems.
Research and Publications¶
- A note on math rendering and browser compatibility
- The eigensystem of the Maxwell equations with extension to perfectly hyperbolic Maxwell equations
- The eigensystem of the Euler equations
- The MUSCL-Hancock scheme for solution of hyperbolic equations
- The eigensystem of the ten-moment equations
- Multifluid flowing equilibrium equations
- Noncanonical Hamiltonian mechanics
- Handling two-fluid five-moment and ten-moment source terms